Axie Infinity is taking the play-to-earn business model to a whole new level by allowing gamers to earn gold while playing the game. Game studio Sky Mavis has partnered with blockchain company DigiX to hand out a token backed by gold as a reward for in-game victories. In total there will be $1500 worth of DGX tokens available during the so-called Golden Season.
This Golden Season is actually the eighth competitive season for Axie Infinity, but it’s the first time they are giving away gold. Thanks to DigiX they are handing out 26.13 DGX tokens, currently valued around 58 dollars per token. One DGX is equal to one gram of gold. In total 25 percent will go to the top ten players, while the remaining 75 percent will be a reward during the season.
“This is an exciting step forward for play to earn gaming. While traditional gamers may still be unfamiliar with cryptocurrencies like Ether, gold has been an accepted store of value for thousands of years. We believe that interesting experiments that meld the physical and the digital realms will be a key element in bringing play to earn to the next generation of blockchain gamers.”Sky Mavis, press release (July 20th 2020)
During previous seasons players have been able to earn for example KNC tokens or the dollar-pegged DAI. Even outside the competitive seasons players can earn Small Love Potions. These SLP-tokens are required to create new Axies. Earlier this month SLP increased a lot in value, reaching $0.23 per SLP. Currently one SLP is worth $0.019.
What is Axie Infinity?
Axie Infinity is a tactical battle game in which two players fight each other using a team of cute creatures called Axies. These little weird balls of joy live in a world called Lunacia, and they come in all kinds of shapes in sizes. Their characteristics influence which moves they are capable of performing. They can be damage dealers, healers, or bad ass tanks.
Axies are deadly cute, that is an undeniable truth. But Axies are not only just cute, their appearance are almost unique. It is difficult to find two look-alike Axies since their body parts have various forms and shapes. There are more than 500 Axie’s body parts. Axies’ body and parts are classified into classes including Beast, Plant, Bug, Bird, Reptile and Aquatic, and more in future release. Moreover, the parts also come with four levels of rarity, which are Common, Rare, Ultra Rare, Legendary.
It is the battle system that makes Axie Infinity stand out. Axies will take turn to fight in a 3v3 battle. The Axies fight for their own will, but to win the victory, players need to a real strategist, from wisely choosing appropriate Axies for their team to placing them at the tactical positions.
Sky Mavis is working hard to make Axie Infinity a serious game. At least once per month the developer or community members organize a tournament. On top of that players can earn love potions or other crypto rewards from playing the game. As a result there are many incentives to get active within the world of Axie Infinity.